Sunday, February 26, 2012

Patagonia on the Razorback

Now see that mountain in the background, over my left shoulder, covered in cloud, waaaaay into the distance...THAT was our destination!!
Federation Hut in the distance.
 At the summit of Mt Feathertop, Victoria -HOORAY!!
My Patagonia's in action!
Tee- Zara
Jeans- Dotti
Sunnies- Sportsgirl
Jumper- Kathmandu
Deus cap- Glue Store

I have something a bit different to share with you today.  A couple of weeks ago my husband and I had a mini getaway to the Victorian Highcountry, we stayed in Bright for a couple of nights and on the middle day did THE MOST AMAZING bushwalk.  It was actually recommended to me by a friend and is one of the top Australian bushwalks.

What is this walk you say? It's called the Razorback and it takes you from Mt Hotham to the summit of Mt Feathertop, the second highest mountain in Victoria, Australia.  With a detour to Federation Hut we estimate we walked about 25km that day (7 hours), the track was often steep and rocky and I can tell you by the last 5km we were seriously trudging.  But the scenery- WOW- I have never done a walk with such consistently spectacular views, and the wild flowers put on an amazing show for us.

So the Razorback was where I decided to try out my brand new Patagonia hiking shoes from Natureshop.  Probably a bit dumb of me to break them in on a 25km round trip but I had absolutely no dramas and in fact found them to be a fabulous hiking shoe.  They are incredibly cushioned and supportive, thanks to an air cushion system designed to absorb shock.  The Patagoina Drifter AC-Gortex shoe has a waterproof yet breathable air mesh and a nubuck leather upper, keeping my feet cool and comfortable. The outsole, made of 30% recycled rubber was soooo grippy, a must on this walk!

My ankles were feeling a bit tired and sore by the end of the walk, so my recommendation if you are planning to hike these sorts of distances on a steep and rocky track, a boot with ankle support would be the way to go instead.

Size wise, in high heels I am normally a size 37, for these I picked a size 38 to give my tootsies a little extra space which worked our perfectly.

I would love to hear from you if you know of any other amazing Australian bushwalks!

    

53 comments:

  1. what beautiful pictures! xo thanks for the comment we now follow you, would love for you to follow us if you like what you see xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love bright! i used to camp there when I was younger! These pictures are incredible! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful pictures, Michelle! I'm not one to go bushwalking but I'll take your tips when I do one! Fabulous scenery!

    Nora
    Nora Finds

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great walk, I'll definitely have to do it. And thanks for the shoe advise. I am always the most inappropriately dressed person on bush walks. But also the most stylish!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow this looks amazing! I want to do this hike!!!

    xoxo
    daringcoco.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow its so beautiful, great shots!

    fashionableroad.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely walk! It's resulted in some stunning photos! beautiful :)


    awayfromtheblue.blogspot.com.au

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are great images!

    At Number 27
    x

    ReplyDelete
  9. 25Km that´s a decent hike good on you ! I would love to go bushwalking there looks awesome, i´ll put it on my to-do list :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Amazing scenery and photos! Good job getting there.. I would have given up!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello Michelle, happy day..
    Fantastic post nature..
    and your outfit casaual sport is love it..
    kiss.
    http://mary1975.blogs.elle.es/

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a lovely place. I love hiking. It's a great workout, and a great way to be with nature.
    Seattle Beauty and Fashion Blog - Girlie Blog Seattle

    ReplyDelete
  13. what a beautiful photos! Relaxing!

    Much love from the SABO SKIRT girls!
    SHOP: www.saboskirt.com
    BLOG: www.saboskirt.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. This looks like such an amazing hike! The scenery is also so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  15. beautiful photos!

    http://pinklemonincrystal.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Michelle! Love your bushwalking photos! Stunning scenery! And great to hear about walks that are near the city. Hope you are well!
    xDelia
    www.whatshouldiwear.com.au
    Australia's #1 style advice site & App

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hey, Michelle!!
    OMG, thanks so much for sharing this entry! That Australian bushwalk is definitely breathtaking, and it reminds me precisely the kind of hiking and landcapes I enjoy every time I go to Jujuy, my hometown in Argentina.
    XOXO, María José
    http://nuarbarcat.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  18. Astonishing photos! I have to go there someday :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow beautiful pics!

    Azzurra-Bellini.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. These are just magical Michelle! What a beautiful place, and I love that pic of you jumping in the air!

    xoxo
    www.natashafatah.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love your photos!^^

    ReplyDelete
  22. Stunning pictures - I absolutely LOVe the dandelion one :)

    XO
    www.pearlsandpaws.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. What an amazing hike, Michelle! The scenery is absolutely breathtaking!!
    <3

    ReplyDelete
  24. You look so different in these pics! Loved your photos!

    ReplyDelete
  25. omggg sooo beautiful! I love this!!!!
    Such gorgeous views and photographs! thank you so much for sharing! it always makes me so happy seeing people hiking and seeing gorgeous landscape pix!
    I'm your newest follower hun <3

    xx
    -S

    http://www.gingerandlace.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  26. very nice photos, amazing views :)
    have a nice week!
    DaisyLine

    ReplyDelete
  27. amazing blog! I've been in Aussie one time, I want come here one more time ;) Beautiful place :D


    "comment made by boy"

    ReplyDelete
  28. Wow, these pictures are amazing! Must have been a wondering hike! <3

    XOXF.
    www.myfashion-expression.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  29. Great blog. Just happened on it when I was checking my sister’s blog. She is another Michelle. I am from New Zealand and blog on travel amongst other things. You might be interested in this post about my travel bucket list http://caroleschatter.blogspot.co.nz/2012/01/my-travel-bucket-list.html. Will enjoy following your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  30. thanks for your comment <3

    cool photos :D


    xx

    ReplyDelete
  31. AWESOME!
    The photos are very nice!
    Mountain miss me ... :)


    www.prettyharbor.com // Jewellery

    ReplyDelete
  32. The view is amazing!!
    great picture with you jumping.kisses

    ReplyDelete
  33. Absolutely breathtaking!! The pictures are stunning and it looks like an incredibly place. I need to get outdoors more often and do something active. You have inspired me! :)

    xRachel

    ReplyDelete
  34. I looked at this post on my phone the other day and couldn't comment.

    Love, love, love the look of this hike! It sounds like you had an amazing day. We go to Mount Bulla in the spring/summer months and honestly there is nothing better than hiking up to the summit and feeling on top of the world.

    Great post lady!

    xox

    ReplyDelete
  35. your are so cute! this is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  36. wow! STUNNING views! I do love a good bushwalk... my partner and I do the Mount Lofty hike in SA occasionally, but are always looking for more trails!

    ReplyDelete
  37. nice photos! the view is really breathtaking! love the jump shot picture, so cool!

    Babi
    www.whenbabispeaks.com

    ReplyDelete
  38. Wow! This location is absolutely stunning! The photos are amazing. It must have been a fantastic experience.

    ReplyDelete
  39. wow those pictures are so beautiful !
    http://yunstation.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  40. Wow, really beautiful pics, looks amazing!

    http://styleservings.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  41. Wow, beautiful pictures! Also love your style. X

    ReplyDelete
  42. Wow, gorgeous photos! It looks like it was a great hike!

    <3 Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  43. wow, spectacular landscapes, love your photos!!!

    ReplyDelete
  44. wow this place is so badass. so gorgeous. ahh I want to visit Australia so bad!!

    ReplyDelete
  45. WOW! That looks so incredible, and such great photography too! All i can say is wow!
    km-iamyou.blogspot.com.au
    x.

    ReplyDelete
  46. Wow, looks beautiful. I need to get more into trekking. I love those shoes- i trekked through Vietnam and with a great pair of hiking boots which sadly got quarantined on the way home (Sydney customs) haha!!

    Great post!!

    Luc X


    www.loveluc.blogspot.com.au

    ReplyDelete
  47. Love these photos - looks like a wonderful walk! Reminds me of a hike I did last year in New Zealand.

    ReplyDelete